Browse "Villages"

Displaying 1-20 of 141 results
Article

Africville

Africville was an African-Canadian village located just north of Halifax and founded in the mid-18th century. The City of Halifax demolished the once-prosperous seaside community in the 1960s in what many said was an act of racism. The mayor of the Halifax Regional Municipality apologized for the action in 2010. For many people, Africville represents the oppression faced by Black Canadians, and the efforts to right historic wrongs.

Article

Aklavik

Aklavik, NWT, incorporated as a hamlet in 1974, population 633 (2011c), 594 (2006c). The Hamlet of Aklavik is located near the mouth of the Mackenzie River, 1143 air km northwest of Yellowknife.

Article

Alert Bay

Alert Bay, BC, incorporated as a village in 1946, population 445 (2011c), 456 (2006c). The Village of Alert Bay is located on Cormorant Island, off Vancouver Island, 288 km north of Vancouver.

Article

Ashcroft

Ashcroft, BC, incorporated as a village in 1952, population 1628 (2011c), 1664 (2006c). The Village of Ashcroft is situated on a flat bench above the Thompson River in the dry belt of the interior of southern British Columbia, about 90 km west of Kamloops.

Article

Fort Assiniboine

Fort Assiniboine, Alta, Unincorporated Place. Fort Assiniboine is located at the confluence of the Freeman and Athabasca rivers, 150 km northwest of Edmonton. There may have been earlier posts in the area, but the first documented FUR TRADE site was Fort Assiniboine, established in 1823-24.

Article

Atlin

Atlin, BC, Unincorporated Place, elevation 671 m. Atlin is a small community of about 400 residents situated on Atlin Lake in the lake district of the northwest corner of the province, 182 kilometres southeast of Whitehorse, Yukon.

Article

Baddeck

Baddeck, NS, incorporated as a village in 1950, population 769 (2011c), 873 (2006c). The Village of Baddeck is located on the north shore of Bras d'Or Lake, 60 km west of North Sydney.

Article

Baldoon

Sheriff Alexander C. Macdonell, Selkirk's agent, struggled for years at considerable expense to the earl to make a success of the venture, but found the swampy land and the difficulty of sheep farming to be serious obstacles.

Article

Balmoral

Balmoral, NB, incorporated as a village in 1972, population 1719 (2011c), 1706 (2006c). The Village of Balmoral is located in northern New Brunswick, 12 km southwest of Dalhousie and named for Balmoral Castle in Scotland.

Article

Bas-Caraquet

Bas-Caraquet, NB, incorporated as a village in 1966, population 1380 (2011c), 1471 (2006c). The Village of Bas-Caraquet is located 7 km east of Caraquet.

Article

Destruction Bay

Destruction Bay, Yukon, Settlement, population 35 (2011c), 55 (2006c). Destruction Bay is located on the west side of Kluane Lake between HAINES JUNCTION and BURWASH LANDING at Mile 1083 on the Alaska Highway.

Article

Cambridge Bay

Cambridge Bay, Nunavut, incorporated as a hamlet in 1984, population 1608 (2011c), 1477 (2006c). The Hamlet of Cambridge Bay is located on the southeast coast of VICTORIA ISLAND.

Article

St Peters Bay

St Peters Bay, PEI, incorporated as a village in 1953 and as a community in 1983, population 253 (2011c), 248 (2006c). The Community of St Peters Bay, 53 km northeast of Charlottetown, is located at the head of a bay of the same

Article

St. Margarets Bay

St. Margarets Bay, 70 km2, is a small inlet of the Atlantic Ocean on the SE coast of Nova Scotia, 40 km W of HALIFAX. It is a favourite summer resort area, noted especially for its relatively warm surface water, sandy beaches and ideal sailing conditions for small craft.

Article

Bella Coola (BC)

Bella Coola, BC, Unincorporated Place, population 95 (2011c), 135 (2006c). Bella Coola is a small community situated on the north arm of Burke Channel, where Alexander Mackenzie first sighted the Pacific in 1793.

Article

Hall Beach

Hall Beach, Nunavut, incorporated as a hamlet in 1978, population 546 (2011c), 654 (2006c). The Hamlet of Hall Beach is located on the east shore of the MELVILLE PENINSULA.

Article

Beaumont

Beaumont, Alberta, incorporated as a village in 1973 and as a town in 1980, population 13 284 (2011c), 8961 (2006c). The Town of Beaumont is located five km south of Edmonton. The name Beaumont refers to the hill upon which the town is built.

Article

Beaver Creek

Located just east of the Alaska-Yukon border, the settlement has a Canada Customs office, a landing strip, and service industries for travelers on the Alaska Highway. It is Canada's most westerly community.