Browse "Cities & Populated Places"

Article

Campobello Island

Campobello Island abuts the border with the US in PASSAMAQUODDY BAY , on the south coast of New Brunswick. Sovereignty over the ruggedly picturesque island was early in dispute, but passed to NB by convention in 1817. The

Article

Camrose

Camrose, Alta, incorporated as a city in 1955, population 17 286 (2011c), 15 630 (2006c). The City of Camrose, located 97 km southeast of Edmonton, is a distributing, medical, government and manufacturing centre for a rich, mixed-farming area.

Article

Candiac

The Candiac Development Corporation (now Developpements urbain Candiac), a group of Canadian and European investors, owned utilized farmland in the parishes of Saint-Constant, Delson, Saint-Philippe and the town of LA PRAIRIE.

Article

Canmore

Canmore, Alta, incorporated as a town in 1966, population 12 288 (2011c), 12 039 (2006c). The Town of Canmore is located in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains, five km east of BANFF NATIONAL PARK.

Article

Cannington Manor

Cannington Manor, established 1882 when an Englishman, Capt Edward Michell Pierce, claimed 5 townships 65 km south of Whitewood, NWT (now in southeast Saskatchewan), the nearest point on the CPR.

Article

Canora

Canora, Sask, incorporated as a town in 1910, population 2219 (2011c), 2013 (2006c). The Town of Canora is located 50 km north of Yorkton. The community was a creation of the CANADIAN NORTHERN RAILWAY which laid steel through the

Article

Canso

Canso, NS, incorporated as a town in 1901, population 806 (2011c), 911 (2006c). The Town of Canso is located on Chedabucto Bay, on the northeastern shore of mainland Nova Scotia.

Article

Cantley

The first to settle the Cantley area were of Scottish or English origin. Andrew Blackburn and his 2 sons arrived in 1829. Colonel Cantley, a British army officer who had worked on the RIDEAU CANAL with Colonel John By, was granted land in what was to become Cantley in the early 1830s.

Article

Canwood

In 1954 Canwood was tripled in size when the former RM of Shell Lake and several improvement districts were added to the community. The current size of the RM is almost 25 townships. Most of the people in the area are engaged in agriculture, with grain farming and livestock the major products.

Article

Cap-de-la-Madeleine

Industrialization brought major residential construction. A second development phase began in 1938 with the opening of International Foils Ltd (Reynolds), which still operates.

Article

Capital Cities

Capital cities are the designated centres of formal political power and administrative authority in their respective territories.

Article

Strathroy-Caradoc

During its early history Strathroy suffered a number of devastating fires. In 1868 a blaze wiped out a considerable portion of Strathroy's business section. Several fires in manufacturing plants in the late 1890s and an agricultural depression caused a period of economic downturn for the town.

Article

Caraquet

Caraquet, NB, incorporated as a town in 1961, population 4169 (2011c), 4156 (2006c). The Town of Caraquet is located 68 km northeast of Bathurst.

Article

Carberry

Carberry's major economic activity was agriculture. However, it has also became well known for the natural areas close by, especially Spruce Woods Provincial Park and Forest.

Article

Carbonear

Carbonear, NL, incorporated as a town in 1948, population 4739 (2011c), 4723 (2006c). The Town of Carbonear is located on the west shore of Conception Bay and is one of the oldest settlements in Newfoundland and Labrador.

Article

Carcross

Carcross, Yukon, Settlement, population 289 (2011c), 280 (2006c). Carcross is a major Tagnish and Tlingit community located at the north end of Bennett Lake, 74 km south of Whitehorse.

Article

Cardigan

Cardigan, PEI, incorporated as a village in 1954 and as a community in 1983, population 332 (2011c), 374 (2006c). The Community of Cardigan is situated 54 km northeast of CHARLOTTETOWN. A fishing and farming community and the

Article

Cardston

Cardston, Alta, incorporated as a town in 1901, population 3580 (2011c), 3452 (2006c). The Town of Cardston is located 75 km southwest of LETHBRIDGE.

Article

Carleton Place

Carleton Place, Ont, incorporated as a town in 1890, population 9809 (2011c), 9453 (2006c). The Town of Carleton Place, located on the Mississippi River, 45 km southwest of OTTAWA.