Browse "Cities & Populated Places"

Article

Saint-Benoît-du-Lac

  The community was founded by Dom Paul Vannier in 1912 when he acquired a farm at Point Gibraltar, a peninsula sloping down towards the lake. He and 3 other monks began farming and providing religious services.

Article

Beresford

Beresford, NB, incorporated as a town in 1984, population 4351 (2011c), 4264 (2006c). The Town of Beresford is located 9 km north of BATHURST on CHALEUR BAY and was incorporated as a village in 1967.

Article

Berwick

Berwick, NS, incorporated as a town in 1923, population 2454 (2011c), 2454 (2006c). The Town of Berwick is located in the Annapolis Valley of Nova Scotia in Kings County, 120 km west of Halifax.

Article

Lac La Biche

Lac La Biche, Alta, incorporated as a municipal district in 2007, population 8402 (2011c), 9123 (2006c). Lac La Biche County is located 225 km northeast of Edmonton on the south shore of the lake of the same name.

Article

Biggar

Two large secondary industries process barley for malt and manufacture environmental storage tanks. A greenhouse comprising 2 ha for plant micropropagation, a salt mine and a poultry farm also provide employment. Its well-known slogan "New York is Big ... but this is Biggar" greets visitors as they enter the town.

Article

Uummannarjuaq (Blacklead Island)

 Uummannarjuaq, which means "like a big sea mammal's heart," had long been an Inuit seasonal campsite. The island attracted whalers because of its strategic location close to the floe edge--the boundary between shore ice and open water where the spring whale hunt took place.

Article

Blainville

In 1673, in order to develop the young colony of New France, Governor Louis de Buade de Frontenac gave large concessions of land to administrators, priests and high-ranking soldiers who became seigneurs. The seigneurie des Mille-Îles was created north of the river that bears the same name.

Article

Blind River

Blind River, Ont, incorporated as a town in 1906, population 3549 (2011c), 3780 (2006c). The Town of Blind River is located at the mouth of the Mississagi River on the North Channel of Lake Huron, 132 km southeast of Sault Ste Marie.

Article

Bois-des-Filion

Bois-des-Filion owes its name to Antoine Feuillon dit Filion, the French pioneer who settled there in 1684, and to the large maple grove located on the Filion family property.

Article

Boisbriand

First set up as a municipality under the name of Sainte-Thérèse-Ouest in 1946, its name was changed in 1974. The name recalls Michel-Sidrac Dugué, Sieur de Boisbriand (1638-88), to whom was granted the seigneury des Mille-Îles in 1683.

Article

Boissevain

The first homesteaders took up land in the area in the late 1870s and early 1880s, and in 1885 the CPR reached the townsite. By the early 1890s Boissevain was a thriving community with hotels, stores, farm implement dealers and a lumber yard.

Article

Cape Bonavista

Cape Bonavista, elevation 15-30 m, is the bare, rocky extremity of the Bonavista Peninsula, north of the town of Bonavista in eastern Newfoundland.

Article

Bonavista

Bonavista, NL, incorporated as a town in 1964, population 3589 (2011c), 3764 (2006c). The Town of Bonavista is located near Cape Bonavista on Newfoundland's northeast coast.

Article

St Boniface

St Boniface, Manitoba, former city and historic French community, now a municipal ward of the metropolitan government of the city of Winnipeg (incorporated in 1972). St Boniface is located on the banks of the Red and Seine rivers in eastern Winnipeg.

Article

Lac du Bonnet

Lac du Bonnet, Manitoba, incorporated as a rural municipality in 1917, population 2671 (2011c), 2812 (2006c). The Rural Municipality of Lac du Bonnet is located 100 km northeast of Winnipeg on Lac du Bonnet

Article

Bonnyville

Bonnyville, Alta, incorporated as a town in 1948, population 6216 (2011c), 5832 (2006c). The Town of Bonnyville is located 240 km northeast of Edmonton in Alberta's lake district and prairie parkland.

Article

Borden-Carleton

Borden-Carleton, PEI, incorporated as a community in 1983, population 750 (2011c), 786 (2006c). The Community of Borden-Carleton was created in 1995 with the amalgamation of the town of Borden (incorporated in 1919) and the

Article

Borden

Borden, Sask, incorporated as a village in 1909, population 245 (2011c), 223 (2006c). The Village of Borden is located about 65 km northwest of Saskatoon. The village was originally named Baltimore but was renamed by the Canadian Northern Railway after Sir Frederick Borden.

Article

Saint-Charles-Borromée

Saint-Charles-Borromée was at one time an agricultural village but is now almost totally residential. It is a suburb of Montréal and Joliette. There is no industrial zone, so economic activity is almost exclusively commercial. The hospital is the largest employer.